Thursday, April 26, 2012

Enclave

Enclave (Razorland, #1)

From Goodreads:   WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.


My Thoughts:

-    This was pretty good for the first zombie apocalypse book!  I might try some more later.

-    The underground society was like an ant or bee colony.  Everyone had a job.  Even the names were similar, like builder or hunter.

-    The above ground stuff reminded me a lot of I am Legend.  I liked this book better though.  I wasn't a fan of that movie.  I feel like the zombies/freaks were close to same in both.

-    Between reading segments, I felt like I needed to ration food and check my back a lot.  Crazy what some books will do to you!

-    I liked the relationship between Fade and Deuce most of the time.  I'm not a fan of Stalker.  I would not associate with him EVER!  Tegen just pulled at my heartstrings.  I felt so bad for her.  

-    I really want to know what happened to the College Enclave, and I'm eager to read the next book.  

1 comment:

  1. I loved Enclave, and like you, am so eager to read more!! :)

    ReplyDelete