Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Two Towers


Goodreads Description:   The Two Towers is the second part of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic adventure, The Lord of the Rings.

Frodo and the Companions of the Ring have been beset by danger during their quest to prevent the Ruling Ring from falling into the hands of the Dark Lord, Sauron, by destroying it in the Cracks of Doom. They have lost the wizard Gandalf in a battle with an evil spirit in the Mines of Moria; and at the Falls of Rauros, Boromir, seduced by the power of the Ring, tried to seize it by force. While Frodo and Sam made their escape, the rest of the company was attacked by Orcs.

Now they continue their journey alone down the great River Anduin -- alone, that is, save for the mysterious creeping figure that follows wherever they go.

My Thoughts:

-    I get the feeling that Tolkien didn't like technology or machinery.

-    Alan Lee's illustrations are beautiful and so accurate!  I love how they added those in this version.

-    Thank you publisher or whoever for the map at the front and end of the book!!  It was SUPER helpful.

-    I like how the book is split into book 3 and 4.  Book 3 is all about Aargorn, Gimli, Legolas, Merry, and Pippin.  Book 4 is all about Frodo, Sam, and Gollum.  I like that Tolkien didn't go back and forth.  I got to read their stories all the way through.  

-    I like how the perspective changes.  The book has so much in it, and it is nice to see things from different characters.

-    The Frodo and Sam ending was a pretty big cliffhanger!  You'd think Tolkien could have chosen to split the book in a different spot, but no! 

Re-Read Thoughts:

-    I love the friendship between Gimli and Legolas. 

-    I love the way Same talks. The words he uses and the way he describes things are funny. 


Previous Lord of the Rings Book
(click on cover to see my thoughts)

360973

3 comments:

  1. Agh, that ending! I remember when I first read it, I was going to go crazy if I didn't get the next book to find out what happened to Frodo and Sam.

    And don't quote me on this, but I *think* that the map was drawn by Tolkien, himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I got curious and went and researched it. He did draw some of the maps, and his son finished them for publication. It depends on which edition you have, but some editions feature maps drawn by others. It's pretty confusing, but you can read about it if you're interested:

    http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2011/09/30/are-the-maps-at-the-beginning-of-each-lotr-book-hand-drawn-by-tolkien/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete