Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Auditon & Subtraction

Audition & SubtractionGoodreads Description:    For as long as Tatum can remember it’s been:

Tatum + Lori = Best friends

They do everything together, including a yearly clarinet/flute duet for District Honor Band auditions. But when a new boy transfers to their middle school and their band, the equation suddenly changes to:

Lori + Michael – Tatum = One happy couple

With her best friend slipping away and her parents recently separated, Tatum’s life has turned upside down. Plus her good friend Aaron thinks that they are secretly boyfriend and girlfriend, all because of one little lie Tatum told. Accepting change isn’t easy for Tatum, but just how much is she willing to give up to hold on to her friendship with Lori and life as she knows it? For Tatum, the best way to move forward may require a whole new formula . . .

My Thoughts:

-    This was a really cute book. There were a few things that were juvenile, but that was the target audience for the book, so I guess it's ok.

-    I LOVED LOVED LOVED all the band geek stuff!! I also LOVED LOVED LOVED all the clarinet stuff! I can totally sympathize with a calloused thumb and a sore lip! 

-    I remember the competitive feeling in band. It was exciting and nerve wrecking! Good Times!

-    Auditions are scary. I'm with Tatum! They suck! This book brought back all sorts of memories about regional and state solos!

-    This book made me want to play my clarinet more!

-    I loved Tatum's character development. She is a teen that is still trying to figure out who she is, and I liked how she resolved everything in the end.

-    I could relate to Tatum on several levels!

-    Lori was a very realistic best friend. Not everything is sunshine and rainbows with your best friend. There will be fights and disagreements, but they are always solved. 

-    The little bits of romance between Tatum and Aaron were cute! I really liked Aaron.

-    Overall, this book is definitely for a younger audience, but I enjoyed it! I thought it was a charming little story!

-    CLARINETS RULE!

1 comment:

  1. It looks really cute! I'm assuming it's a quick little read too.

    ReplyDelete