Can you believe we finished? WAHOO!
Give yourself a pat on the back and do a happy dance!
Twitter chat TONIGHT @ 9:00 PM MDT
We will be hosting a Watch Along on May 29 @ 6:00 PM MDT.
We will be watching the Dune mini-series. Let us know if you'd like to come over, we'll get you info. If you live too far away, get the series and watch with us! We'll be tweeting along!
1. What are your overall thoughts? Did you like it?
It had a lot of slow parts, but there were a lot of interesting parts as well. As a whole, I think I liked it.
2. Do you think you could ride a giant worm?
No! I would not be able to climb the rope onto one. I would be afraid of getting anywhere near a worm. I would get eaten. I also feel a little sad that they had to expose a wound to ride the worms.
3. Paul's relationship with his mom, Jessica, dramatically changed and evolved over the course of the book. How did their relationship change and why do you think it did?
At the beginning of the book, I think Paul looked towards Jessica for guidance, especially since she was teaching him the Bene Gesserit ways. After the Duke was killed, Paul stepped up and took the leadership role. Paul continued to develop into more leadership roles, and Jessica was more of a support. I think their relationship evolved out of necessity.
4. What do you think about Paul's lack of emotion?
He is like a zombie. He didn't cry for his father or any of the other Atreides people that died. He didn't even cry for his son! He even told Chani they could have more sons! That really bugged me. As a mom, I can have more kids, but no child could replace the one I already have. I would be devastated if my gnome was killed. I don't see how he can claim to cherish Chani when he has no emotions!
5. Now that I've finished, I feel like I'd pick up on a lot more of the details and things if I read it again. Do you think you'll reread Dune? If this is a reread, did you catch different things this time around?
I will probably read this again in a few years. I think it would interesting and fun to pick up on more things.
6. How do you feel about the political arrangement at the end? Do you feel bad for Princess Irulan or Chani?
I feel bad for the princess. She is basically a slave to her fate, and no one will care that she is going to be super lonely for the rest of her life. Maybe she'll get a male concubine?
I think Chani got the shaft as well. She is just going to be his play thing because I don't think Paul has the capacity to love.
I don't know. I'm undecided.
8. Favorite character and why?
Kynes died and didn't do much in the end anyway, so I'd have to go with Stilgar. I liked how he was always concerned for the Fremen people. He was always looking for a better future.
9. What did you think about the quotes at the beginning of each chapter? Did you read them? Were they interesting? Were they helpful?
I read them, but I didn't understand a lot of them. I don't know why they are there.
10. Did you have fun during the Read Along? Was there anything we could have done better? Would you have read this book if you hadn't joined?
I always fun with our read alongs. I admit, I probably wouldn't have read Dune if Jenni had pushed so hard for the read along and reading it for book club. I'm glad I read it though!