Friday, May 25, 2012

Waiting

Waiting

From Goodreads:   Growing up in Africa and Latin America as the children of missionaries, London and Zach were as close as could be. And then Zach dies, and the family is gutted. London’s father is distant. Her mother won’t speak. The days are filled with what-ifs and whispers: Did Zach take his own life? Was it London’s fault?

Alone and adrift, London finds herself torn between her brother’s best friend and the handsome new boy in town as she struggles to find herself—and ultimately redemption—in this authentic and affecting novel from award-winning novelist Carol Lynch Williams.


My Thoughts:

-    The style is very unique and different from all the other Carol Lynch Williams' books I've read.  It was like reading poetry, but not.  

-    It was very much a Williams' book, but it also reminded me of some of Lisa Schroeder's books. 

-    This was a really somber book.  It breaks your heart, but gives you a little bit a hope at the end.  It was...in a word...beautiful.  

-    The cover is very appropriate for this book.  I just felt like I needed a hug after reading it.

-    The love triangle kinda bugged me.  I felt like London was using both those guys.  I know she was going through a rough time, but still.   Did she have to go all kiss crazy?

-    I love that we got to see London grow and develop.  It was wonderful to see her find some sort of happiness and self worth.

-    Lili is a great friend!  Every girl needs a friend like that!

-    The story was very gripping.  I couldn't stop turning pages.  I just devoured the book from start to finish!  I find myself doing that will every Williams' book though. 

My Re-read Thoughts:

-    This wasn't as good as I remember.

-    I didn't like London or any of the other characters.

-    The story was really dry.

-    I still thought the writing was beautiful, but it was the only thing I liked.

-    I hated how London was using those two boys. 

-    I just didn't connect with the story or characters. I was really sad and disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment