Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Leading Couples

4895905From Goodreads:    William Powell and Myrna Loy. Bogart and Bacall. Tracy and Hepburn. These on-screen (and sometimes off-screen) couples defined romantic chemistry and the art of falling in love. From Turner Classic Movies,Leading Couples features the most unforgettable screen pairings of the studio era, including actors and actresses with many film courtships and those who made their indelible mark in a single, memorable movie. Engaging and thoroughly researched, each profile includes trivia, behind-the-scenes stories, biographical overviews, and memorable quotes, illustrated by rare stills and poster art.



My Thoughts:

-    This was a fun and informative book! I adore this era of movies, and I wish classy actors and actresses like these people could still exist. 

-    I love that Fred and Ginger were the first couple. They are still very iconic!

-    This book was bad for me. I want to watch all the movies that were listed now!!

-    The intro said that one of the rules for choosing the couples to go in this book was that there couldn't be doubles. One actor couldn't be listed more than once. Well, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor, and others were listed twice!!

-    I didn't know Bogart was so short! Poor guy had to stand on boxes to be taller than his leading ladies.

-    I didn't know Rock Hudson was gay. That is so interesting since he played a player in a few of his films.

-    Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn should have married! I really wish they had! They were so perfect for each other!

-    I would not have chosen King Kong and his captive as a couple for this book...it was....weird. 

-    I like how the book listed mini bios on the side for each actor and actress. It was fun to read where they were born, how tall they were, and see how many spouses they had. 

-    This is definitely a fun read for those of us who loved the golden era! 

No comments:

Post a Comment