Monday, February 21, 2022

Authorlink with Heather Clark & Jennifer A. Nielsen

My library is renown for their author events, and the pandemic ruined my chances of meeting many authors. BUT! Author events are back!! My friends and I had the pleasure of attending a launch party for Lemon Drop Falls. It is Heather's debut book, and it sounds lovely. Jen was there to help introduce Heather and talk about the book. They also talked a little bit about Jen's upcoming book.  


What I took from the event:

-  Books are important. They are powerful. They change lives. 

-  There are books that are windows that let us look into other people's lives, and there are books that are mirrors that reflect who we are and our lives. We need both! Window books and mirror books are equally important. 

-  When bad things happen, it gives us the ability to change. We can pick up the pieces and become something amazing. Others need to hear our stories. We can help each other.

-  It is never too late to accomplish your dreams and goals. No more excuses, just do it.

Heather's book is about a personal experience. She went through some health problems and almost died. It was very hard on her family. They couldn't afford therapy, so one of her daughters talked to a school counselor. At first her daughter wouldn't talk about her feelings, but the counselor gave her a lemon drop and said that talking about your feelings is like a lemon drop. You must "brave the sour to taste the sweet." Talking about our feelings is hard, but once we start, it is a sweet and relieving experience. Heather's daughter was able to open up and she had a wonderful experience with her school counselor. 

Lemon Drop Falls is about a girl who loses her mom, and the struggles she has to go through because of it. Heather said that the mom in the book is very different from her, but her story is based on her own. 

The book sounds amazing and healing. Jen said the book is beautiful and does an amazing job at giving children permission to talk about their feelings.


We got to meet both authors and get books signed. These authors are remarkable people, and they are so giving. I told Heather that I'm trying to work on communication with my 12 year old daughter. I said that I thought her book would help. Heather took the lemon necklace from around her neck and gave it me. She said to give it to my daughter. She also made sure I got some lemon drops from the swag table to give to Gnome. 

Gnome was so excited about the necklace. She loves it, and I hope it is something she remembers forever. 

It was an amazing night! #BooksChangeLives

8 comments:

  1. How fun! And I agree...books are important and powerful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm love being a book lover. Our community is the best.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing story, and inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspirational story and event. I'm happy that you're able to have author events again at your library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew I missed them, but I didn't realize how much.

      Delete
  4. It really was a great event. I’m glad we got a chance to go. I talked about it a little bit in my Sunday Post for this week, but your recap is way better. I’m glad Gnome liked the necklace. I hope the book helps her.

    ReplyDelete