Friday, February 4, 2022

Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics


Title:
  Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics

Author:  Tom Scioli

Publisher:  Ten Speed Press

Date Published:  June 30, 2020

Genre:  Biography, Graphic Novel, Non-Fiction

Rating:  ⭐⭐⭐⭐



My Thoughts:

-    Jack Kirby's life told in a graphic novel? Yes please!

-    I am a Jack Kirby fan. He does not get enough credit for his contribution to the world. Comic books would not be what they are today without this man! He worked for both Marvel and DC, and both companies wanted their artists to mimic Kirby's art style. His art is the OG of comic book art! 

-    I knew a little about why Kirby had a falling out with Stan Lee and left Marvel, but I loved getting Kirby's POV. I've only heard/read Marvel and Stan Lee's side. It would be super frustrating to not get the acknowledgement you rightly deserve. If Stan Lee had played nice with Kirby and given him the credit he deserved, can you imagine what they could have done together!? I feel like we were robbed of some amazing characters and stories. 

-    I am glad Kirby is getting more credit for stuff now, but it isn't enough, and I kinda feel like it is too little too late. 

-    I have always wanted an original Jack Kirby drawing. It would be amazing! I might have to just settle with some trading cards or reproduction though.

-    Just to be clear, I love both Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. I believe they both contributed to the characters and stories we love today. Just look at what they created when they worked together! 


My Thoughts in a GIF:

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Jack Kirby and now I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a comic book artist. He invented Captain America, Spiderman, and a ton of other superheroes.

      Delete
  2. I've always heard that Jack Kirby was the nice one and Stan Lee was the jerk and demanding one. I'm not sure what's right. All I know is I love the MCU (and Stan Lee's cameos) and the MCU wouldn't exist without either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I just read the original Eternals comics (since seeing the movie) and I love his style!

    ReplyDelete