Monday, February 7, 2022

The Iron King


Title:
  The Iron King

Author:  Julie Kagawa

Series:  The Iron Fey #1

Publisher:  Harlequin Teen

Date Published:  January 19, 2010

Genre:  Fantasy, Young Adult

Rating:  ⭐⭐⭐⭐



My Thoughts:

-    I am torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. It is probably a 3.5 star rating for me. 

-    Meghan Chase is just a regular teen trying to find her way through high school and life. Her reputation at school used to be her biggest worry until her little brother gets kidnapped by a faery king, like what happens to Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth. She journeys into the Nevernever with her best friend, who turns out to be a faery named Puck. Yes, Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream. Now she has to travel through a land where everything is trying to eat her and rescue her brother.

-    I first read this in 2014, so it has been a long time since I've journeyed through the Nevernever. I remember really loving these books, but I was worried that 34 year old me wouldn't like the stories as much as 26 year old me. Luckily, the stories have stood the test of time, and I had a lot fun. 

-    I liked Meghan, Puck, and Ash well enough, but there wasn't anything that endeared them to me. I'm hoping that I will warm up to them more as I get better reacquainted throughout the series.

-    The best character is Grimalkin. That cat is hilariously snarky, and I love that he only sticks around because he is amused. 

-    I loved the world of fae that Kagawa has created. I loved what she has taken from mythology, fairy tales, and other literary works. I want to live in the Nevernever. 

-    I am proud to say my reviews have gotten a lot better over the years. If you'd like to see my old (and kind of embarrassing) review, here is a link


My Thoughts in a GIF:


Trigger Warning:  Some Violence, Bullying

10 comments:

  1. Glad this held up well! It does sound like a fun world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Yes, the world building is my favorite part.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'm not a huge fantasy fan but I do love me some fae and this sounds like it could be a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love fae, I highly recommend this series.

      Delete
  3. This has been on my TBR for SOOOOOOOO long. And, now that I find out there's a snarky cat, I want to read it even more. The cat kind of sounds like Dax if she could talk, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun fantasy read. I love that it has a snarky cat in it! And that cover is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? I really like the new covers as well.

      Delete
  5. This sounds good and I'm glad you found you still enjoyed it. Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream sound like a fun character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Puck is pretty fun. He is always joking.

      Delete