Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Date Published: January 19, 2010
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
- I am torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. It is probably a 3.5 star rating for me.
- Meghan Chase is just a regular teen trying to find her way through high school and life. Her reputation at school used to be her biggest worry until her little brother gets kidnapped by a faery king, like what happens to Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth. She journeys into the Nevernever with her best friend, who turns out to be a faery named Puck. Yes, Puck from A Midsummer's Night Dream. Now she has to travel through a land where everything is trying to eat her and rescue her brother.
- I first read this in 2014, so it has been a long time since I've journeyed through the Nevernever. I remember really loving these books, but I was worried that 34 year old me wouldn't like the stories as much as 26 year old me. Luckily, the stories have stood the test of time, and I had a lot fun.
- I liked Meghan, Puck, and Ash well enough, but there wasn't anything that endeared them to me. I'm hoping that I will warm up to them more as I get better reacquainted throughout the series.
- The best character is Grimalkin. That cat is hilariously snarky, and I love that he only sticks around because he is amused.
- I loved the world of fae that Kagawa has created. I loved what she has taken from mythology, fairy tales, and other literary works. I want to live in the Nevernever.
- I am proud to say my reviews have gotten a lot better over the years. If you'd like to see my old (and kind of embarrassing) review, here is a link.
My Thoughts in a GIF:
Trigger Warning: Some Violence, Bullying