Thursday, August 16, 2018

Caddie Woodlawn

Caddie WoodlawnGoodreads Synopsis:    Caddie Woodlawn is a real adventurer. She'd rather hunt than sew and plow than bake, and tries to beat her brother's dares every chance she gets. Caddie is friends with Indians, who scare most of the neighbors -- neighbors who, like her mother and sisters, don't understand her at all.
Caddie is brave, and her story is special because it's based on the life and memories of Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother, the real Caddie Woodlawn. Her spirit and sense of fun have made this book a classic that readers have taken to their hearts for more than seventy years.


My Thoughts:
-    Hooray for a Newbery book that I enjoyed!! 
-    Caddie is a fun character. I liked her tenacity and selfless kindness. She was down to earth and all around likeable. 
-    The story reminded me of Little House on the Prairie. I would definitely recommend this if your a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan.
-    I really liked the cast of characters. I liked each of them for different reasons. I loved the dogs.
-    I liked how the book addressed the relationship between the settlers and the Native Americans. The settlers were afraid for no reason. I liked that the two groups of people were able to share the same area and not get in each others' way, but I also love that Caddie made friends with Indian John.
-    I know I read this when I was in middle school, but I could only remember a couple things, so I'm glad I was able to read it again. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally! A good one. I’ve never read this one but my sister read it a million times.

    ReplyDelete