Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fellowship of the Ring: Book 2 Discussion Post


Woo! What a great book! I love Tolkien!

Some Random Thoughts:

-    I loved the symbolism of Saruman's robes. He was Saruman the white, but when he turned evil, the white was fractured and he became Saruman of many colors.

-    I loved how Gloin and Bilbo reminisced and talked about what happened to our friends from The Hobbit.

-    There is a line in the book that says "O Lady of Lorien of whome were sprung Celebrian and Arwen Evenstar." Does that mean Arwen is Galadriel's daughter?

Discussion Questions
from Jenni

1.    Even if you've read the books before (or you've seen the movies), were you surprised by who Elrond picked for the fellowship?

Not really, It isn't a surprise if you've read the books or seen the movie. I don't understand why Elrond picked Legolas to represent the elves though. I would have chosen someone from my own house. I think he should have picked Glorfindel. 

2.    How do you feel about Gandalf's fate in Moria?


It is sad, but it is something he had to experience to become more than a grey wizard. I thought it was good for the fellowship. They relied on him so much, and I think they learned and grew a lot without him. I think Aragorn is more than qualified to lead the fellowship.

3.    What do you think you would see in Galadriel's mirror?

Probably things I don't want to see. I think I would be too scared to even look. 

4.    If you could have any of the gifts the elves from Lothlorien gave to the fellowship which one would you choose and why?

This is actually something that kind of bugs me about the movie. They get different gifts. Why was that necessary to change?

I don't really need a belt or a scabbard. The bow would be cool, but I'd just hurt myself. I guess I would choose the dirt from Galadriel's garden. I don't have much of a green thumb, so that would help me a lot!

5.    Do you think Boromir had any logic in his thinking about using the ring to fight Sauron?

Yes and No. I think Boromir was more power hungry than the others, so the ring influenced him more. I also think Boromir truly believed he could use the ring for a valiant cause. Too bad he was too arrogant to listen to council's warnings. 

6.    Do you think Frodo was rash for leaving the fellowship behind?

Yes! If I was Frodo, I'd want their help! I'd for sure take Aragorn. Good thing Sam was able to go with him. If not for Sam, the ring would never have been destroyed. 

7.    Do you have a hard time following the action? Do the movies, if you've seen them, make it easier to envision the events taking place?

No. I grew up with Tolkien. I think the movies captured a lot of things accurately, but they messed up on a few things as well. 

8.    Who is your favorite and least favorite character in The Fellowship of the Ring?

Favorite:  This is SO hard!!!! Bilbo will always be my favorite Tolkien character. I really like Sam in the book, and I really like Gimli. Aragorn is always awesome! Barliman kind of makes me laugh. 
I'm going to go with Gimli.




Least Favorite:  I don't know. I like everyone. Oh wait!! I know!!! Lobelia Sackville-Baggins!! Horrible greedy hobbit! 

9.    What is your favorite and least favorite scen in the The Fellowship of the Ring?

Favorite:  I have to say when Bilbo and Gloin are talking. I get so happy when things from The Hobbit pop up. I also love the beginning when Tolkien describes hobbits. Bilbo's party is a favorite. I also like the Council. It's all good!

Least Favorite:  Lothlorien is always slow for me. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it is the slowest part of the book for me. 

10.    These books seem to be very male-centric. Does this bother you? Do you wish there were more important female characters? How do you think the book would've changed if one of the main characters were female?

This doesn't bother me at all. I have no problem picturing hot men while I read. 

Back in Tolkien's day, women didn't go to war. The few women in the books are pretty revered. I'm okay with that. Plus, Eowyn is awesome! She is one of my favorite book ladies! 


Jenni will be hosting a Twitter Chat tomorrow!
Sunday, June 1
6:00 PM (mountain time)
#LotRreadalong


We will be having a party to watch The Fellowship of the Ring movie!
My house
Saturday, June 7
6:00 PM
If you'd like, you can pitch in for pizza.
There will be other food as well.
Bring your spouse and friends.
It's going to be fun!!

If you want to come, contact me or Jenni for directions to my place. I live in Orem, I hope that isn't too long of a drive for people.

We'll be kicking off The Two Towers tomorrow!! Woo!

5 comments:

  1. Arwen is Celebrian's daughter. And, Celebrian is Galadriel's daughter. So, she's Galadriel's granddaughter. I only know this because I looked it up, lol.

    Is Eowyn the lady in Rohan? All the names sound the same and I had a hard time distinguishing them in the movies.

    I like Gimli too. He's cool. And, I didn't even think of the Sackville-Baggins. I've thrown them from my memory, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up the Arwen question too!

    I love Eowyn so much too!

    And I thought Lorien went slowly too, but I thought it was largely because I listened to that part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love LOTR! These are awesome questions and answers. I think Frodo should have taken more people with him too. I love Eowyn too. Hope you have fun watching the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I guess it's a sign of my super geek-dom that I totally already knew Galadriel was Arwen's grandmother :) I have read just about everything there is to read about LOTR and used to have it memorized. EOWYN for the win. She and Faramir are (some of) my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your vast LOTR knowledge. I wish I knew cool stuff like that.

      Delete