Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Waiting for Normal

2210839Goodreads Says:    Addie is waiting for normal.

But Addie's mom has an all-or-nothing approach to life: a food fiesta or an empty pantry, jubilation or gloom, her way or no way.

All or nothing never adds up to normal.

All or nothing can't bring you all to home, which is exactly where Addie longs to be, with her half sisters, every day.

In spite of life's twists and turns, Addie remains optimistic. Someday, maybe, she'll find normal.

Leslie Connor has created an inspiring novel about one girl's giant spirit. waiting for normal is a heartwarming gem.
 

My Thoughts:

-    This book okay. I'm glad I read it for book club, but I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

-    A lot of it was slow and boring. This is more of a character driven story, and I really wasn't invested in any of the characters, except maybe Addie.

-    I felt bad for Addie. I felt bad for her situation, and I wanted a better environment for her. She had a lot of people to help her and love her though. She wasn't completely alone or isolated. Not every child like Addie has that much support. The teachers, the people at the store, her step dad, her half sisters, etc. It was a little unrealistic for me because Addie had SO much. support.

-    Addie's mom needs help! Someone at book club brought up mental illness, and how the book didn't portray it properly. I can see that Addie's mom needed help, and she had some major issues. I also think her mom was a big narcissist and burned every bridge she had with anyone her wanted to help her.

-    The book has a very happy ending, and in some ways it just wasn't realistic for me. I'm happy Addie got the fairy tale ending, but again, not every child does. In reality, a lot of kids are in bad situations, and they don't have the love and support, and they often don't get happy endings. 

2 comments:

  1. Yep. Sounds like we had the same opinion of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything except the narcissist part. But, yeah.

    ReplyDelete