Thursday, March 17, 2022

Daughter of the Deep


Author:  Rick Riordan

Publisher:  Disney-Hyperion

Date Published:  October 26, 2021

Genre:  Middle Grade, Young Adult, Sci-Fi

Rating:  ⭐





My Thoughts:

-    Harding-Pencroft is a specialized school for students who are gifted in ocean life, ocean exploration, military training, etc. Ana is a young student at HP, and her life is turned upside down when her school is suddenly attacked and falls into the ocean. The only survivors are her fellow classmates who were on a bus heading for a training. They are now being hunted by the people who attacked the school, and Ana learns that she is the primary target. 

-    I really enjoyed Riordan's take on a classic tale. This book isn't a retelling, but it is highly influenced by a couple of Jules Verne novels. It was really cool. 

-    I loved how diverse this book was! It was diverse in so many ways: race, religion, and disabilities. I feel like Riordan did an amazing job at including these topics in a very natural and realistic way. It wasn't shoved down the reader's throat, but it was mentioned and talked about in a real and respectful way. 

-    It was fun getting to know each character, especially through Ana's eyes. It was like meeting new friends, and it reminded me of my grade school days. 

-    My daughter wants to be a marine biologist when she grows up, and I hope she reads this soon. She is going to love it. 


My Thoughts in a GIF:

8 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome, and I love how he handles diversity. I would have loved books like this growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm glad my kids have amazing MG books to read. Picture books are amazing these days as well.

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good. I wish I had books like this when I was younger, I would have loved this. I might just read this anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I read it and really enjoyed it. I think this one could be for a variety of ages.

      Delete
  3. I think it's wonderful that your daughter wants to study ocean life. :) This seems like a fun adventure novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She has always loved water and sea creatures. I'm excited for her.

      Delete