Monday, March 7, 2022

Rook


Title:
  Rook

Author:  Sharon Cameron

Publisher:  Scholastic Press

Date Published:  April 28, 2015

Genre:  Young Adult, Distoptian

Rating:  ⭐





My Thoughts:

-    In what used to be Paris, a mysterious do-gooder named The Red Rook, is saving people from execution. Yes, exactly like The Scarlet Pimpernel. I don't think this was a reimagining or a retelling of The Scarlet Pimpernel, but the story was definitely influenced by the classic book. Instead of historical France during the French revolution, this story takes place in a futuristic world where technology is frowned upon because it brought about a horrible catastrophe. 

-    I liked the story overall, but it was too long. I think I would have enjoyed it more if some slower parts had been cut. 

-    Sophia made for a perfect Red Rook. She was constantly underestimated because she is a girl. I liked how Sophia used society's misogyny to her advantage. I also loved her cleverness and determination. 

-    I didn't get too attached to any of the characters, I liked Sophia well enough, but I didn't care of anyone else.

-    I don't know why, but I'm not enjoying YA books as much as I used to. Lately, I've been gravitating more towards adult and middle grade.


My Thoughts in a GIF:

10 comments:

  1. It sure has an interesting premise. I hope you enjoy your next book more. (love the meme!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried really hard to find a Scarlet Pimpernel GIF that would work.

      Delete
  2. Maybe the YA books just aren't as good as they used to be. I've tried a few recently and ended up DNFing them. It's too bad this one wasn't better; the premise is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. . .I wonder why they aren't as good right now. The idea of the book was really cool, and I liked it okay, but it could have been executed better.

      Delete
  3. When I saw the title, at first I thought you were reviewing the card game, LOL. Sorry this one wasn't that great for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I have never played Rook, but my parents used to play it all the time. When I first saw the title, I thought of the chess piece, not the bird.

      Delete
  4. I think I remember when this came out. Yeah YA books have been hit and miss for me lately...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I've heard that a lot lately.

      Delete
  5. I've read (and loved) all of Cameron's books except this one, which I've been avoiding for some reason. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't hold tons of appeal for me despite the fact that it's by an author I really like. Sounds like there are some reasons to keep avoiding it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked at her other books. This one caught my eye when it came out, but I might check out her other books now. I didn't hate Rook, but it could have been better.

      Delete