Monday, April 1, 2013

English Trifle

English TrifleGoodreads Description:    High Crimes at High Tea

Things to Do in England

Visit Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, and the London Zoo. Take the Jack the Ripper tour
Sample authentic English scones and crumpets.
Discover a dead body

What begins as a holiday trip for amateur sleuth and cooking aficionado Sadie Hoffmiller and her daughter, Breanna, turns into a bizarre mystery when they discover a dead body in the sitting room of an English manor.

Breanna's boyfriend, Liam, is heir to both the family title and the family estate of Southgate, where everyone seems to have a secret . . . or two.

When the body in the sitting room disappears, Sadie and Breanna are stranded at the estate until the police can clear them to leave. With their departure delayed, they might as well solve the murder.

Armed with a jogging whistle, her personal recipe collection, and an unfailing sense of American justice, Sadie begins her own investigation to find the killer. But as Sadie uncovers layer after layer of misdirection, secrets, and outright lies, she wonders if anyone is telling the truth
Take a missing family history, toss in a secret romance, mix with a mysterious murder, and this is one vacation Sadie will never forget.

My Thoughts:

-    This was a fun clue-like mystery. I don't read many murder mysteries, but I liked this one.

-    It was nice read about a grown woman. I usually read about teenagers, so this was a nice change.

-    I want to bake all sorts of foods now. I just love that there are recipes to a lot of the foods mentioned in the book! I want to try them all!!

-    What are crumpet rings? I cannot even picture what they should look like!

-    I like how curious and stubborn Sadie is, but I would not want her as a neighbor. She would be too nosy!

-    I liked that Breanna was a bigger part of this story. I like her character, but I think she could be developed a bit more. I want to get to know her!

-    I really couldn't figure out everything. There were so many pieces, and none of them seemed to fit together. It takes a while for the whole picture to be seen! The story is really intricate.

-    I wish Liam had been more assertive. He really needs to learn how to take charge.

-    I love that this book took place in England. There were so many fun English things, and it made me want to watch Downton Abbey.

-    The book has some slow parts, but it is worth sticking through til the end.


Previous Book in the Culinary Mystery series
(click on the cover to see my thoughts)


No comments:

Post a Comment