Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Chosen One

The Chosen OneGoodreads Synopsis:    Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated community without questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters, with two more on the way. That is, without questioning them much---if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her.
But when the Prophet decrees that she must marry her sixty-year-old uncle---who already has six wives---Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family forever.


My Thoughts:
-    This is a very solemn book.  It has a lot of sadness and worry in it, but in the end, we get a bit of hope.  
-    It makes me sad and a little sick to my stomach to know that the events in this book take place in the real world.  There were certain parts that just break my heart.  
-    I love the emotion in the story.  Kyra's feelings come across so strongly that I just feel for her so much!  I feel scared, sad, happy, and everything else for this character.  I just want to hug her and tell her that everything will be alright.  It just makes me want to show my daughter 10x more love!  
-    I wish the ending held a bit more, or that there was a sequel.  There are a few questions I want answered.  
-    I want to visit a bookmobile!  Patrick is a hero in my eyes!
-    I love the format of this book.  Carol Lynch Williams knows how to get so much more out of a book by playing with the format and sentence structure.  I love it!!
-    The ending is so riveting!  Oh my gosh!!  It is one of the most heart pounding car chases I've ever read or seen.  
-    This is one of those books that you just have to finish is one sitting!  Once you start, you just can't put it down.  Thank goodness it isn't too long.

-    Carol Lynch Williams is such a pro at telling difficult stories in a beautiful way!  Her writing is like poetry, but not.  I just love her style!

2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on this one. It's too bad you still had questions at the end--I hate when that happens--but it sounds like a deep story (my favorite kind).

    ReplyDelete
  2. List one is definitely on my TBR list. I'll make sure I can fully devote myself to it before I start! Thanks for the review.

    Happy Utah Book Month!

    ReplyDelete