Thursday, April 7, 2016

Oz: The Emerald City of Oz

18513585Goodreads Says:    The Eisner Award-winning creative team of Eric Shanower and Skottie Young bring you the best Oz series yet! Uncle Henry can't pay the mortgage, so he, Aunt Em and Dorothy must leave their Kansas home. Where can they go? To the Land of Oz, of course! Dorothy and the Wizard take Em and Henry on a grand tour, discovering knowledge pills and living paper dolls, solving living puzzles, suffering abuse from living kitchen utensils and drooling over living baked goods - but will anyone in Oz be left living after the Nomes attack, allied with the highly disagreeable Growleywogs? And when General Guph persuades the most evil race alive - the shape-shift ing Phanfasms of Mt. Phantastico-to join the Nome Army, have the Nomes bitt en off more than they can chew? COLLECTING: THE EMERALD CITY OF OZ 1-5

My Thoughts:

-    I really love the art style of these books. The artists fits the tone and whimsy of the characters and books perfectly.

-    The Whimsies freak me out! Ugh! Those big heads are things of nightmares.

-    Baum had an amazing imagination. He created some interesting things.

-    Why can't Toto talk? It bugs me. All the animals in Oz can talk except for Toto.

-    I like that Aunt Em and Uncle Henry got to visit Oz. I wish they had a larger role in the book though.

-    Not a lot of plot to this story. The characters mostly travel from one strange town to another, and the ending is weird, but it works.

-    I love how they explained why this was the last Oz book. Ha!

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read the Wizard of Oz books. I think I'll read them not in graphic novel form first, though. It sounds like you had fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Wizard of Oz as a kid. I should really give this and the original stories a try. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these comics SO MUCH!! Glad to see you reading them and enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete