Friday, April 15, 2016

The Earth Shall Teach Thee: The Lifework of an Amateur Artist

14450609
From Goodreads:    This book features paintings, drawings, and wood carvings representing a lifetime of work. As an avid lover of nature, Boyd K. Packer has carefully studied the appearance and habits of birds and animals and used them as his primary subjects. Above all, his art expresses reverence for life. Through artwork he has shared the lessons of life with his family and church members. President Packer wrote, "During those hours working with my hands, I pondered on the marvels of creations, and inspiration would flow. As I carved wood, I carved out talks."--Publisher summary. 

My Thoughts:

-    This book pleasantly surprised me. I thought it would just be a documentary on Elder Packer's artwork, but the whole book is like a short autobiography. It was very enjoyable to read and get to know Elder Packer better. I learned a lot about him. He was a great man.

-    He touched on a lot of subjects like music, math, art, teaching, etc. He found joy in learning about any subject, and he often found art in a lot of the topics he researched.

-    Always the teacher, the book is full of small lessons and information for the reader.

-    Elder Packer was an amazing artist! I loved seeing all his work, and I'm sad that I didn't know about this artistic side of him until he passed away. 

-    I felt very uplifted reading about Packer's art and his inspiration. His love for nature was touching, and I appreciate birds and plants a little more now. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about his artistic side either. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete