Monday, December 31, 2012

The True Colors of Caitlynne Jackson

From the Dust Jacket:    Twelve-year-old Caity Jackson and her eleven-year-old sister, Cara, have always been close.  They have to be.  By sticking together and staying out of their mother's way, they manage to make it to the school on time most days, get meals prepared, and protect each other from their mother's terrifying verbal and physical attacks.  A few sympathetic friends, like Brandon from next door, also make a big difference in their lives.  But when their mother does something truly unexpected, they have a new crisis to face, one the seems insurmountable to Caity.  Yet, as Caity begins to realize, there are ways they can take control of their future, if only they can find the inner strength to defy their mother.

This sensitively written novel takes a hard look at a family torn apart by a mental illness and celebrates the resourcefulness of two courageous young women.


My Thoughts:

-    This was another lovely book by Carol Lynch Williams.  It was heart breaking, but full of tender moments.

-    This story made me feel like I need to ration my food.  

-    It also made me want to hug my daughter and tell her I love her!

-    There were moments in this book that made me think of my little sister.  There were times where we had to comfort and protect each other.  

-    That Nana is a SAINT!  

-    I feel humbled, and I feel very blessed.  I have a good family, and I have the opportunity to create a good environment for my children.  

-    I felt scared for Caity and Cara every time they went skinny dipping.  I thought something bad was going to happen.

-    I can't even begin to understand how a mother could abuse her children.  When my daughter was born, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of love and will to protect her.

-    Carol Lynch Williams knows how to bring out strong emotions in her books, and this one is filled with them!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one but the one CLW,s book I read was very good. The woman knows how to write some compelling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds intense! I have yet to read anything by Carol Lynch Williams, but she's definitely on my list for 2013. Yay for Utah authors!

    ReplyDelete