Monday, March 5, 2012

Eyes Like Stars


Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)Goodreads Synopsis:  All her world’s a stage. 
Bertie Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater. She’s not an orphan, but she has no parents. She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own. That is, until now. 
Enter Stage Right 
NATE. Dashing pirate. Will do anything to protect Bertie. 
COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARD SEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM. Four tiny and incredibly annoying fairies. BERTIE’S sidekicks. 
ARIEL. Seductive air spirit and Bertie’s weakness. The symbol of impending doom. 
BERTIE. Our heroine. 
Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book — an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family — and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known. 
Lisa Mantchev has written a debut novel that is dramatic, romantic, and witty, with an irresistible and irreverent cast of characters who are sure to enchant the audience. 
Open Curtain  
My Thoughts:
-   This is one of my favorite covers!!  It is so cool and beautiful, and it goes along with the book very well.  The font for the chapter headings and page #s are fun and some of my favorites as well.
-    The 4 fairies are really funny, and they always provide the comic relief.  It is hard to keep track of which one is which, but it doesn't deter from the story at all.  It was actually just fun to read their lines.  It really didn't matter who was who.  
-    This is a great book for Shakespeare fans!  The whole book is filled with Shakespeare characters, plays, and more!
-    Bertie is a wonderful female protagonist.  She is fun, spunky, and a bit mischievous.  I love the rebellious side of her.
-    There are a lot of characters in this book, and I usually don't like books with too many characters, but this one is different.  It is easy it keep track of who is who.  I liked the way each character was introduced as well.
-    I loved that the whole story took place in a theater.  I really loved the whole concept.  It was very different and fun from anything I've read.  The enchanted theater provided everything, and it made me want to live in there myself.
-    There is a love triangle, and I'm not too fond of it.  I have like/hate feelings towards Ariel.  He is so easy to dislike in the beginning, but then he starts to grow on you.  Nate on the other hand is the most charming pirate on the planet!
-    Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I'm eager for more!!   





2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of these! I'm intrigued!!!

    ReplyDelete