Friday, March 30, 2012

Wild Orchid

The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Ballad of Mulan"

Goodreads Description:  "Once upon a Time" Is Timeless 

Wielding a sword as deftly as an embroidery needle, Mulan is unlike any other girl in China. When the emperor summons a great army, each family must send a male to fight. Tomboyish Mulan is determined to spare her aging father and bring her family honor, so she disguises herself and answers the call. 

But Mulan never expects to find a friend, let alone a soul mate, in the commander of her division, Prince Jian. For all of Mulan's courage with a bow and arrow, is she brave enough to share her true identity and feelings with Prince Jian?


My Thoughts:

-    I wish there had been less about Mulan's family drama and more about the war. It would have been more fun reading about Mulan in the field. 

-    This was a fun light read. It wasn't anything stupendous, but I enjoyed a lot of it. 

-    It was about what I expected from a Once Upon a Time book.  I wish there had been a bigger twist on the story though.

-    I can relate a lot to Mulan.  I am a tomboy, and I would rather shoot a bow and arrow and use a sword than learn to embroider and sew.  The way Mulan felt out of place and how her father wouldn't approve of her is something I could relate too.  My poor mom always  wanted girls she could doll up, but she got tomboys.  

1 comment:

  1. I have read the Beauty and the Beast retelling by Cameron and really enjoyed it! Looking forward to reading more of her!

    ReplyDelete