Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Q&A

I'll ask the questions, you provide the answers.  Ready?

How much of a book do you read before you quit?
What makes you quit a book before finishing?

My Thoughts:

I try to give a book a good sporting chance before quitting, so I made a rule to read at least 100 pages before allowing myself to put the book down forever.  I feel like that is ample time for the author to get over the boring stuff and captivate me.  

I usually quit a book if it is super boring, I can't stand the characters, I think the book is dumb, or if I don't understand what the heck is going on.

  Your turn.  What are your thoughts on these questions?

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a set amount of pages I'll read before I'll quit. My rule is that if it has too much profanity (I USUALLY stop after more than 2 f-words, but not always) or if it's boring/taking me so long to read that I could have read a million other things by now, THEN I will stop reading.

    Unless it's assigned reading. Then I have no choice. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have a rule. Sometimes I just stop reading. I don't feel guilty about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really quit reading books. I try to give them a sporting chance all the way through. This usually happens with classics because while I may not like other books, they can usually captivate me. But, classics are usually gems, but you have to read the whole thing and often they can be very boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first chapter has to captivate me in order for me to keep reading a book! Sometimes I'll read to chapter 3 to give the book a chance, but I have to be captivated early on.

    ReplyDelete