Friday, March 16, 2012

The Phantom of the Opera



My Thoughts:

-    The transition between the ruined theater to the brand new theater was awesome!

-    I felt like the movie did the stage version credit.  There were a few things out of order (like when the chandelier crashing down), but they did a good job adapting this to film.

-    I wish they had gotten an all Broadway cast for this.  I didn't like that they just got some actors and taught them how to sing.  Phantom of the Opera is ALL about the music!!!  Emmy did good, but she seemed a bit young to me, and her voice was a little inexperienced.  Gerard Butler made a really stunning and yummy phantom visually, but...they kinda had to teach him to sing.  He did good, but I wasn't aw struck enough with his voice.  I thought Minnie Driver was perfect for Carlotta.

-    They captured the emotion and heart of the musical really well.  

-    The costumes and overall look of the movie was really beautiful. 

-    I have mixed feelings about this movie.  I want to love it, but I think the casting wasn't up to par.  

-    I wonder if they will ever adapt Les Miserables into a movie like this.  I think would be scared if they did...excited, but scared. 

3 comments:

  1. They are, Kami, they are! Let's geek out about this at our next doulbe date. :)

    "Les Mis" the movie

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2012/02/hugh-jackman-song-les-miserables-movie.html

    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/160818-Sacha-Baron-Cohen-Daniel-Evans-Linzi-Hateley-and-More-Confirmed-for-quotLes-Mizquot-Film

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great movie. I watch it whenever I need beautiful scenery and a great soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this movie. I was married to Grant when the movie came out and the poor guy had to listen to me singing the songs with the CD all the time!

    ReplyDelete