Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Healer's Apprentice

The Healer's Apprentice




Goodreads Description:  Two Hearts. One Hope. 

Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable. Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her—a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill. 

When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny. 

My Thoughts:

-    I understand that Rose would want a respectable job, especially if it meant avoiding an arranged/terrible marriage, but someone who gets sick when seeing blood shouldn't be a healer?  I know it explains this more further in the book, but why did Rose WANT to be a healer so bad if she hates the sight of blood?

-    Thank Heaven for dogs!!

-    The love triangle is terrible.  Lord Rupert is a cad!  I wasn't too fond of Lord Hamlin either.  He was supposed to be a strong/manly character, but he was kind of a baby.  Not a total baby, but enough that it bugged me a little. 

-    I wish I had read more reviews and labels for this book.  I didn't know it was going to be religious.  I am a Christian, but this was a bit too religious for me.  

-    The book was pretty predictable.  I had everything figured out by pg 102 (and I was right.)  

-    I enjoy a good romance in a story, but this book was ALL romance.  Nothing inappropriate is in the book, but the whole story revolves around the romance.  I like other things going on in the story as well.  I wish there was more about Moncore throughout the book.  

-    I loved the bit about Hildy and Gunther.  It brought out the most emotion for me.  



1 comment:

  1. I would probably enjoy this book because I love mushy love stories...besides, the book has a lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete